From Mom: Preparing for a Pandemic
Canned soups you like – tomato, clam chowder, canned chile
Dried beans like pinto beans
Canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, pizza sauce
Macaroni & Cheese box
Pasta: Shells, Wide Egg Noodles, Penne, Spaghetti
Chicken and Beef Stock in a Box (2 each)
Meats: Ground Beef, Chicken legs, thighs, breasts, pork chops, pork loin, beef roast, hot dogs
Vegetables: Carrots, Celery, Onion, Shallots, Garlic, Potatoes, Zucchini, Egg plant
Butter, Milk, Cream, Sour Cream, Mayo
Sliced Bread, Sliced French Bread, English Muffins, Hot Dog Buns, Hamburger Buns, Tortillas
Cheese: Mozzarella, Bag of Mixed Cheddar/Jack, Velveeta
Snacks: Crackers, Chips/Salsa, Nuts (almonds, pistachios, cashews) Trail mix, Peanut Butter, Jelly, Popcorn
Drinks: Gatorade, Juice, Pop
Pantry items: Flour, Vegetable Oil, Dried Active Yeast, Sugar, Brown Sugar, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Shortening, Chocolate Chips, cornstarch
Spices: Salt, Pepper, Lemon Pepper, Taco Seasoning, Garlic Powder, Soy Sauce, Honey, Ground Ginger
Important: Must have first aid items, fever reducer (Advil/Tylenol) Gatorade, water and/or Pedialyte, thermometer
Asian Pork Stir Fry and Rice
- Cut up the pork into strips
- Make Teriyaki Sauce: 1. C water, ¼ c Soy Sauce, 5 teaspoons Brown Sugar, 1 tsp ginger, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ c cold water. Combine 1 c water, soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, garlic and ginger in saucepan, medium heat, cook 1 minute.
- Mix separate: cornstarch and ¼ c cold water, add to saucepan. Cook together 5 – 7 minutes until thick.
- Marinate some of the pork in the teriyaki sauce. Add water to thin the sauce so you have more for the marinade; leave the rest for the top of the rice.
- Make rice. Anytime you make rice, it’s simple: 1 cup rice + 2 cups water, bring to a boil, simmer covered for about 25 minutes. Make this first. To make rice more flavorful, you can use chicken stock.
- Saute in a pan, the pork until cooked. Remove from pan, set aside. Cut carrots, broccoli, onion into pieces. Add to pan with a little vegetable oil. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Carrots take the longest.
- Add the marinated cooked pork to the vegetable, heat through.
- Plate rice and top with stir fry, add the teriyaki sauce to the top.
You need: ground beef, taco seasoning. Tortillas (corn or flour,) cheese, sour cream, avocado, tomato
Brown the ground beef in a pan, add taco seasoning and follow directions on package (usually add 1 c. water.)
In another pan, add some vegetable oil. Put one or two tortillas in warm oil, cook on one side, flip over, add the cheese. Cook until melted. Place on a cookie sheet and make as many tortillas as you want. Keep in the oven on low.
Cut up the tomatoes, cheese, lettuce if you want.
Put together all the meat and items in the warm tortilla with melted cheese. Dust with parmesan cheese on the outside of the tortilla.
Oven baked Chicken with mashed potatoes & sautéed carrots
You need: chicken pieces, like drumsticks, thighs. Flour, spices: salt, pepper, chili pepper, garlic powder. Potatoes, butter, milk. Carrots, oil, brown sugar.
- Heat oven to 375
- Put a cup or so of flour in a bag, plastic gallon, or brown bag.
- Add the chicken and SHAKE to cover.
- Place chicken on baking sheet. Add a pat of butter to each piece.
- Bake for 25 – 35 minutes. Check to see chicken is cooked and there’s no red inside.
- Peel 4 potatoes cut into chunks. Boil potatoes until soft. Add warm butter and milk. Mash together and add salt and pepper.
- Cut up carrots into slices. Sauté in pan with a little oil. Cook 10 minutes, when soft, add 1 T brown sugar and ¼ stick butter. Salt & Pepper
Spaghetti with Meat Sauce; with garlic bread
You need: ground beef, package of spaghetti seasoning, tomato sauce, canned tomatoes cut up, spaghetti pasta, grated parmesan. Use sliced French bread to make garlic bread.
- Brown the meat. Add the spaghetti seasoning. Follow directions on package and add the water, tomato sauce, canned tomatoes. Cook for about 20 minutes. Add salt, pepper if needed.
- Cook pasta. Boil water with lots of salt. Add the pasta, cook 12 minutes (time this so it’s not over or under done.)
- Toss pasta in the sauce, top with cheese.
- Toast the French bread, top with a mix of melted butter, garlic powder, paprika and a little cheese (like cheddar or jack). Bake for 10 minutes until cheese melts.
Homemade pizza with toppings
You need: flour, yeast, salt, pepper, olive oil. Can mix by hand and knead with enough flour. Store made pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, toppings you like.
- Make the pizza dough (takes 2 hours, so start early.) Follow directions online, food network. Watch the video. It’s simple.
- Put olive oil in a pizza pan and spread to cover pan. Bake dough first in pan, in oven @400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Add sauce and all the toppings and cheese; bake about 10 minutes.
Other menu ideas:
- Homemade macaroni and cheese. Use pasta shells, make a cheese sauce, cook all together.
- Chicken Parmesan
- Beef stew served over wide egg noodles
- Burritos with homemade beans and rice. Use dried pinto beans. Put on a pan, pick out any rocks, soak overnight. Next day, cook the dried beans in water, add spices, garlic, salt, pepper. Mash when soft (2 hours cooking on low) Follow a recipe online.
- Chicken divan with rice
- Hot dogs & Chili
- Hamburgers with homemade French fries.
- Baked potato bar. Bake potatoes and top with all kinds of things: bacon, cheese, butter, sour cream.